Fundraising Annual Appeal Letter
Sent in October 2001 in the aftermath of 9/11
Santa Monica Bay Woman’s Club
Working with: Addie Stalk, Secretary
Type of Business: Charity
Services: Strategic planning, copywriting, press and public relations.
A Women’s Club founded in 1905, SMBWC sought to revitalize its membership and increase public awareness of its role in the community.
• Introduction of Pass the Dish, monthly members’ suppers.
• Redesign, copywriting and editing of monthly members’ newsletter.
• Launch of SMBWC Facebook page.
• 80% membership now receives their newsletter in the form of an interactive PDF, saving print and postage costs.
• The Club won the General Federation of Women’s Clubs’ district award for most increased membership of the year, 2011.
• The age of the average member has dropped by eight years.
• Extensive press campaign to support the introduction of the history lecture program and spoken word events.
• SMBWC Public Relations campaign to foster relationships with Santa Monica City Government, business leaders and educators, including attendance at citywide festivals and addressing the City Council meetings.
• History lectures, four per year, now have an average attendance of 130 people. Events are featured in all local news outlets.
• Rental business has increased by 20%.